Thursday, March 21, 2013

Brooke's Story


Our lives changed forever on the afternoon of August 15th, 2012.  I was traveling home from work on Highway 6 when I was involved in a head on collision with an elderly woman driving down the wrong way of the highway.  On this day I was 28 weeks pregnant with our first child, a daughter, named Reese Elizabeth Harrington.  Due to the high impact force of this wreck, she was killed instantly.  I sustained multiple injuries but was extremely blessed to survive that day.  My medical staff informed me that, had I not been pregnant, I would have most likely died in the wreck from internal bleeding.  They went on to say that Reese had saved my life.
What is a mother to do to honor the life of her daughter who saved her?  Why did I survive that day?  How could I turn this tragedy into something positive?  How would I honor Reese’s legacy and life?   Would I be strong enough to share my story of grief and let other grieving parents know that there is hope and help available.   These were the questions I pondered late at night while rocking my empty arms in her nursery.  I knew I needed to do something that would benefit others in her name.  I knew that if I could prevent one family from having to go through the heart ache of losing a child, I had the strength and will to do so.  On one of these sorrowful nights through my tears I was searching the internet on ways to honor a lost child.  I came across creating a team for the March of Dimes walk, March for Babies. Sometimes things resonate with you in your time of need.  The more I read on March of Dimes website, the more I began to realize that this would be a perfect way for me to honor Reese by helping babies who are born premature to have the very best medicine has to offer.  I thought what a great way for our family and friends to participate in walking with us to honor Reese and help other babies.
March of Dimes is celebrating 75 years of helping develop the polio vaccine to eliminate the disease and now they are working on preventing premature births and are helping more babies get the strongest, healthiest start.

As parents we don’t ever imagine our children dying before us.  My husband Andy & I have lived through deep sorrow and grief for our daughter. We are walking to honor Reese and to help families have the joy of bringing home a healthy baby.


Written by Brooke Harrington of Bryan/College Station family team, Reese's Pieces.

2 comments:

Singularly Me said...

God bless you, Brooke. Your loss is heartbreaking. Thank you for sharing your story and helping others. May God grant you health and happiness!
(Ms. Minehart)

bevbeezy said...

Brooke I am so proud of you and I am honored to know you. You and your husband have handled the loss of Reese so well. Just want you to know that I look up to you and continue to pray for you and keep you in my thoughts.